2.25.2017

Run The Race

The sun is glistening on the Columbia River. It's a bright February morning that holds the hope of Spring, but the bitter cold of winter lingers at a frigid 35 degrees. At 9 am, while bundled up in my warmest coat, I watch my husband take off for a 13.1 mile run- a half marathon.
As I watch my husband move with the crowd at the start of the race, I am so filled with admiration for him. Daniel has many traits that I admire, but perhaps the one which strikes me the most is his steadfastness. Seeing him run these long, painstaking races in the cold morning air is such an illustration of this trait. He makes a goal, a commitment, and follows through. He doesn't feel weighed down by the demand of a dozen miles, because he knows that he is capable.

I will probably never be a marathon, let alone half-marathon runner (I'm more of a 5k type of gal). Not only do I not show this physical representation of steadfastness, I don't find the quality runs very strongly in myself (see what I did there?). I really have to be careful to make sure my emotions don't toss me to and fro. I frequently change my mind and flip-flop about choices. I often don't know exactly what it is I want or am willing to do to reach a goal. 
While I yearn to be more steadfast in my life, to rest in truth and strength even when my emotions aren't there, I look up to my husband's actions. I don't just see this trait reflected in his running, but in everything he does. When he says he is going to do something, you can trust he will follow through. He is true to his word and the same person all the time. 
let us run with endurance the race that is set before us - Hebrews 12:1
When I cheer him at the finish line in a couple of hours, I know he will be exhausted, sweaty, and probably freezing cold within a few minutes. But I know he will feel glad that he did it, because it is what he set out to do.

I have not achieved it, but I focus on this one thing: Forgetting the past and looking forward to what lies ahead, I press on to reach the end of the race and receive the heavenly prize. -Philippians 3:13-14

linking up with:

1 comment:

  1. What a beautiful view of your spouse - "When he says he is going to do something, you can trust he will follow through. He is true to his word and the same person all the time."

    and I love how you encourage him in what he pursues. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to comment! I'd love to hear your thoughts.