5.01.2018

Spring Break in San Francisco: Sights, Eats, and Outfits

Teacher perks: Spring Break. 
This Spring Break we planned a trip down to San Francisco! It was my first time, and really the first time I've done anything besides theme parks in California. I loved spending three days exploring the city and enjoying the sun with my dear husband. I'm sharing my favorites sights, eats, and what I wore on our getaway. 

We arrived in San Francisco early afternoon and spent our first day getting the lay of the land. As we walked down the busy streets I realized it's the largest city I've spent any time in! I was so enchanted by all of the victorian row houses in the downtown area. 
We walked down the pier and enjoyed views of the Golden Gate Bridge. 
We walked up Lombard St, "the crookedest street in the world". That's right, walked up it. Advice from experience: walk down Lombard street! 
We enjoyed happy hour complimentary wine on our hotel roof. The hotel was very nice, and affordable because it was in a pretty gritty area, which made our walks extra interesting. 
On our first morning we walked up the street to meet with Daniel's parents and sister! They coincidentally planned a Spring Break trip to San Francisco and we spent our overlap day together. 
We are huge Disney people, so we spent several hours at the Disney Family museum in The Presidio. It was fascinating and inspiring to learn more about Walt Disney's life and incredible imagination.
 The Tews sweetly treated us to a City Pass, so we had a blast doing a lot of touristy activities. The highlight was the Bridge to Bridge cruise. We were so lucky with the weather and enjoyed the sunshine while cruising to the Golden Gate Bridge, around Alcataraz, and to the Bay Bridge.


We also had fun being dorky at the wax museum and Ripley's Believe it or Not.
This sign was too true. 
 We spent our final morning walking around the Mission district. It's a more relaxed pace than downtown, full of color and rich culture. We wandered into an art shop and picked up a guide for a mural walk.
 The murals were richly beautiful, full of color and meaning. 
One of my closest friends from high school, Eli, moved to San Francisco in 2014 and we have been meaning to visit him ever since. We were so happy to spend a day with him and see some of his favorite places. We showed us more sights in The Mission and we walked through the Castro District.
We took public transit to the Sunset District, and then spent an hour just talking and relaxing on the beach. 
We may have gotten extremely sun burned on the beach, but it was totally worth enjoying every moment of soaking up the California coast.

We had a massive list of places to eat from Eli and other San Francisco food lovers, but ended up having more of those "okay we're hungry now, where can we stumble in?" meals. Uno Dos Tacos was one of those places, and it was fantastic. $5 margaritas and great menu selection. 

 We had an Italian dinner with the Tews at Calzone's Restaurant. I ordered a calzone and it was HUGE (and delicious)!
 We first met up with Eli where he works at Philz Coffee, so naturally we had to get an iced tea to sip on as we wandered the mural route.
We got ice cream before lunch, because it's vacation, at Smitten Ice Cream, which has liquid nitrogen ice cream churned right when you order it. We shared a couple cones of cookie dough and with pretzels and chocolate chips, and blood orange cream.
 We enjoyed a super Vietnamese dinner at Yummy Yummy.
The title picture is delicious fish and chips and ceviche at Hook Fish Co. 
I've always heard that San Francisco can be way colder than you expect, so I packed layers. Luckily I didn't need them! It was sunny and around 70 during our trip.
The first day (which included our flight), I wore my comfy LulaRoe floral tunic and Old Navy jeggings. I'm going to be real honest with you and tell you these shoes were a mistake. While I looked cute, we walked 30 miles in our three days in SF and these shoes gave me blisters day one. Comfort over cute when you're travelling, people. I forgot. 
On day two I wore this cheerful striped top (also from Old Navy) and a classic pair of skinny jeans with my blush Toms. Sunglasses were a must for our boat cruise! I love my cross-body bag for exploring. 
Our final day I wore dark jeans, a chambray shirt, and this adorable lemon t-shirt. 
Whew, this has to be one of my longest posts EVER!
Have you spent time in San Francisco? What are your favorite spots?
Check out more of my city getaways like Christchurch, New Zealand, Las Vegas, and Seattle!

linking up with:

3 comments:

  1. Wow it looks like you had a fantastic trip. Thanks for sharing it with us all xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. We just went to San Francisco too, and I absolutely loved it! We only had a day there, but there was so much more I wanted to see. It looks like you hit up some really cool spots!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice informative blog. Thanks for sharing.
    gunmetal

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to comment! I'd love to hear your thoughts.