12.17.2014

Christmas Carols: Classic and Fresh



Ok, so most people either love or hate Christmas music. As a music lover, I find myself oddly in the middle. I love the season, decorating, giving gifts, seeing family and friends, all the cozy traditions, and most of all celebrating the birth of my Savior. But I have ambivalent feelings about the music. There are some classics I love, and every year I enjoy exploring new Christmas songs and covers of classics. But with certain songs, when I hear them the second week of November or whenever Christmas starts (earlier every year!) I think to myself "Oh my goodness, it does not feel like I had 11 months off of this song". Some of the same old versions of the same old song for me start to feel not jolly or festive, but just plain taxing. The one that really gets to me is "Holly Jolly Christmas". I don't know why, but that song is just too much for me. 11 months never seems to be big enough of a break.

Don't get me wrong,  I like more Christmas music than I dislike, and a lot of the stuff I like is classics, for example Bing Crosby Christmas Classics is one of my all time favorite holiday CDs. But if you are like me, and the same old songs can harsh your cheer a bit, here's some less-played tunes to add to your Christmas playlist this season. Some are classics by a different artist than the one we hear the most on the radio, and some are new original songs by contemporary artists. Some are just personal favorites.


I Believe- Frank Sinatra

Wonderful Christmastime- The Shins

Winter Weather- Fats Waller & His Rhythm

Maybe This Christmas- Ron Sexsmith

Little Drummer Boy- Pentatonix

I've Got My Love to Keep Me Warm- Dean Martin

Love is Christmas- Sara Barielles

Angels We Have Heard on High- The Piano Guys

Christmas is Coming- Jason Gray

God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen/We Three Kings- Barenaked Ladies ft. Sarah McLachlan

Mary Did You Know- Pentatonix

What Child is This- Third Day

Winter Wonderland- Jason Mraz

Auld Lang Syne- Frank Sinatra & Dean Martin

Do You Hear What I Hear- Anthem Lights

Carol of the Bells- The Piano Guys

O Come, O Come, Emmanuel- Punch Brothers

Snowfall- Eddie South

We Three Kings- Tenth Avenue North ft. Britt Nicole

Christmas Must Be Tonight- My Morning Jacket

Wake Up the World- JJ Heller

Welcome to Our World- Chris Rice




What about you? Are there any overplayed Christmas songs that drive you crazy? What about any fresh ones you have enjoyed lately?



No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment! I'd love to hear your thoughts.