4.12.2015

Menu Planning: Yummy, Balanced Dinners

Happy Spring, my friends!

I don't know about you, but when Spring comes I start to feel refreshed in the kitchen. A whole bunch of new veggies are in season and grilling becomes a possibility. I generally feel energized when the sun starts coming out, so I'm excited and motivated to be cooking and creating.




A lot of times, this new energy is accompanied with a health kick. This time, I'm taking this kick in a simple direction- balance. 
I find that healthy eating for my husband and I lasts longer when we focus on balance. Cutting things out or making specific diet plans doesn't work for us (we love dessert and cheese too much- but who doesn't? Yum). Balance seems to help us avoid burn out.
I find that balancing each plate, each day, and each week helps us stay healthy while not feeling restricted. 

Here's an April menu for a yummy, balanced week. I'm excited to be sharing this menu on Menu Plan Monday at orgjunkie.comWhat's For Dinner Menu Planning at jillconyers.com and Monday's Musing at whatjoyismine.net !





Monday: Kale,Chicken & Bacon Pizza

We bought Boboli crusts for pizza and anticipated we'd just do pepperoni for both crusts, but my husband took charge and got creative on this one! He made a garlic olive oil sauce and topped it with kale, bacon, chicken, and of course mozzarella cheese. This was VERY tasty, and the Boboli crust made it pretty easy and quick.


Tuesday: Sticky Honey Lemon Ginger Chicken with Jasmine Rice and Broccoli

This recipe from Carlsbad Cravings is one of my favorite Pinterest recipes I've ever tried. Daniel always requests it when I ask for menu suggestions. I cook a lot of Asian foods because they're usually pretty quick, yummy, and easy to include veggies. I also like that it tastes just as good (if not better!) than takeout, but doesn't leave you with that way too full and way too salty feeling. This recipe takes a few more steps to get that perfect crispiness, but it's well worth it.

Wednesday: Crispy Oven-Fried Fish, Rolls, and Kale Chips

For the fish I followed a recipe from Better Homes & Gardens (love my big pink recipe book- anyone else who can't live without this book?). Kale chips are so easy- spray em with oil, add a dash of salt and pepper, and pop them in the oven at 450 degrees for about 10 minutes.

Tuesday: Stuffed Bell Peppers

These stuffed peppers from It's A Flavorful Life are packed with yummy and good for you stuff. Black beans, kale, cheese, onions and ground turkey come together in a yummy enchilada sauce. They also made great leftovers for lunch.. I wished I doubled the recipe, they were so good.

Friday: Chicken Taquitos

Another great alternative to take out, these baked chicken taquitos from Recipe Girl are great to make when you are craving Mexican food. We topped them with fresh guacamole, salsa, and plain Greek yogurt (my choice for sour cream). 

Saturday: Barbecue Beef Sandwiches, Garlic Potatoes, and Grilled Asparagus

Daniel marinated thin beef cuts in garlic, soy sauce, red wine vinegar and spices, then threw them on the grill. We chopped the beef into small pieces and then coated it in barbecue sauce and put it on toasted hamburger buns. We paired it with roasted garlic potatoes and some grilled asparagus.

I know I definitely can always work on balance in my life, and not just with what I eat. This Spring I hope to find balance in how I spend my time between being productive and being restful. I also hope to find balance in my mindset and self care. Just like I balance a doughy dinner roll with kale chips and oven baked fish, I hope I can balance gentleness and patience with a desire for growth. 

Thanks for stopping by! What are you eating this Spring?



MondaysMusings2014


4 comments:

  1. I love the Boboli crusts but haven't bought them in a long time. Thanks for the reminder about them. My husband has been fishing a bunch so I may need to check out that oven fried fish recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmmm this looks so so great! I need to make a grocery list for this menu!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your meals look great! I feel the same way about the spring- love it! Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for this amazing menu plan! I am printing it off and trying everything! What a blessing...I will be stopping by again!

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to comment! I'd love to hear your thoughts.