3.27.2015

Conquering Mountains, or Mountains of Laundry: Finding Life in Everyday Life (Part 2)

About a month ago, I wrote a post about a big question I’ve been pondering. The question essentially is this: When inspiration strikes, how do we apply it to our everyday life? For more explanation of this question, read the original post here.

This question can surely be answered and discussed an infinite amount of ways. I want to share with you where I draw inspiration from and it's effect on my life.

Inspiration for me comes from nature, from conversations, and from the adventures and break-throughs compassionate characters experience in books and movies. Personally, music is my most frequent source of inspiration. Here's an example of a song that really makes me think of the kind of life I want to live:

Was I love
When no one else would show up
Was I Jesus to the least of us
Was my worship more than just a song
I want to live like that
And give it all I have
So that everything I say and do
Points to You

 Am I proof
That You are who you say You are
That grace can really change our heart
Do I live like Your love is true

People pass
And even if they don't know my name
Is there evidence that I've been changed
When they see me, do they see You


Inspiration for me calls me to: 

Be an adventurer. Dive in. Take every opportunity to love those around me. Take risks and live selflessly. Pursue my Savior more and more. 

Inspiration calls for my life to be changed in a way that makes it clear that Jesus lives, and to realize that I have a short time to make an impact on this world, and that impact lasts for eternity. To focus on what really matters and what is lasting and true to the heart of God. To live the fullest life I possibly can. 

My ideas of a full life have changed over the last few years. I used to be somewhat against convention. I didn't want to settle down or spend weekends at home. Honestly, I was really afraid of that. I was afraid of not having an exciting life.

My current life does include exploring trails, mountains, and rivers, it does include exploring new cities and trying new things, it does include exciting encounters where I show someone care who has not received it elsewhere.

But this is a small portion of my time. Though I treasure these moments, most of my time is spent in much more regular ways. I go to work, I do chores. I spend most of my time at home with my husband. I catch up with family and friends. I read, I watch movies and shows, I play guitar, exercise, blog and cook.

And I enjoy these things so much more than I thought I ever would. I enjoy how simple my life is.

I look for opportunities and perspectives that make the little things big things.

I have found that when I truly focus my eyes on the Lord I am able to see how the things I do, whether they appear to me life giving or mundane, reflect Him. He shows me that even the simple things can draw his children closer to Him.

A few examples of seeing his purposes in the little things:

 God made me for rest. I need to rest. Times spent recovering from the craziness of life are necessary. They are times of trusting him.

I think the reason I Netflix binge on silly dramatic shows is because God made me relational and the relationships on those shows fascinate me.  

 When I do laundry and clean, I can focus on how I'm taking care of the things God has given me, and loving those I share responsibilities with.

There is no shame in a simple life. There is also nothing wrong with an adventurous, heroic, feature-film worthy life. I think that maybe the key is finding life, wherever your life takes you.



What God has shown me is that there can be excitement in the little things. There is contentment in knowing that the way he has called me to live fully today is to rest or get things done around the house. There is great joy in pursuing fulfilling relationships with just a few, even though I've hoped of impacting many. Even though my current line of work does not allow me to build lasting relationships like I would want, maybe God's using my small interactions with kids to show them love. There is challenge and excitement in the new things he puts before me, even if they're more domestic than I once dreamed of. I care so much more for family than I ever thought I would, and this is a huge adventure. 

There's also the beauty of the fact that God knows I'm human. He fills me with inspiration and his spirit and renews me with his Son, but he knows that I fall short. Sometimes I get inspired and then get distracted with silly things. Sometimes I get frustrated and quit,  forgetting why I was inspired in the first place. That's where grace comes in. The even more beautiful part though, is that he never falls short. Though I am not on fire for him 100% of the time, he is on fire for me 100% of the time. And he will always give me another chance. He will fill my heart with inspiration once again. 

God cares for my soul and he knows my soul. He purposefully instills me with inspiration. Even when I think I can't live it out now in the way that I imagine it, he has a different place he wants to use it. Even though my life is mellow now, maybe he is preparing me for a coming season where I'll be challenged everyday. I find that with God everyday is an adventure, and every moment is full.

So, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God. -1 Corinthians 10:31

And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him. -Colossians 3:17

I would love to hear what this process is like for you, and how you answer this question. Are you familiar with this tension of living the life you dream of, and living the life you have? What does inspiration feel like for you? What puts purpose in the little things? 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment! I'd love to hear your thoughts.