2.15.2019

Songs & Stories: In the Rain

Almost a decade ago, my dear friend Tayleranne and I were walking back to our dorm hall after class on our small town, brick and pine tree laden college campus. As we left class there was just a drizzle, but as we neared our building the downpour began. We were prepared with our rubber boots, Tayleranne took out her umbrella and we huddled under it. We'd had that experience several times that winter, as we walked shoulder to shoulder towards our building and I took my keys out of my pocket, she said "it's always me and you in the rain".
Though I was very single at that time, the sentiment of that phrase stuck with me, and when I got back to my room my imagination wrote a sweet love story with that saying in the center, and turned it into a song.
I wrote this song over nine years ago, but a rainy night to myself earlier this month inspired me to record it. Notice the real rain sounds at the beginning and conclusion. There's also a couple guitars and mandolin.


It's always me and you in the rain
No California sky here, we walk and take our time
We look up, unafraid, let it fall unto my face

I find myself without you in the rain
Wishing you could be here, you're on my mind all the time
Why's it always you who soothes my pain?
I just want to lay down with you and feel safe

I'm seeing new faces everyday
Oh I'm changing in every single way 
But all I want to see is your face
Here with me 
In the rain 

Driving down the highway 
Windowpanes of houses in the distance 
Lit up and warm and bright
Now I'm pulling into town, down your lane
Familiar sights and sounds, I am in my place

I'm seeing new faces everyday
Oh I'm changing in every single way 
But I've come home when I see your face 
Heading towards me in the rain

Nothing's real unless you're by my side
So much beauty, shared with you it multiplies 

So many stories for me to display
Life is wonderful in every single way 
But the greatest thing is to be in this place
Here with you 
In the rain 

Now we're standing here embracing in the rain
We fit together quite naturally
I was meant to be in your arms
My heart sings and yours joins in, I finally came
I would cross the galaxy to be with you in the rain
Yes, I would cross the galaxy to be with you in the rain
   

1 comment:

Feel free to comment! I'd love to hear your thoughts.