1.29.2017

6 Healthier Treats {I Can Actually Live With}

In an effort to try to eat healthier, many of us try to cut out the most tempting food items. Eating meatless, staying away from bread, or eliminating fast food are really not much of a problem for me. However, I know that I just cannot give up having a sweet treat. I've tried, and it is just not pretty. 
As an alternative to giving up treats altogether, I have discovered the sneaky trick of making my treats a bit healthier.
If you search Pinterest for healthy dessert recipes, you will find TONS of recipes that look delicious, but contain whacky ingredients or complicated instructions. I've found that these recipes tend to be hit or miss. Some ingredient swaps, like grinding up oatmeal as oat flour instead of white flour, or substituting applesauce for butter, work totally fine. On the other hand, I just can't get behind beans in a dessert (to me, the first bite tastes like a brownie and the after taste just tastes like... beans). Because of my hit or miss healthy dessert experience, I've decided to share a round up of my favorite healthier sweet treats I can actually live with, meaning they satisfy my sweet tooth!
1. Fro Yo Bites from Skinny Ms
This recipe is really easy and quick to put together. I make a dozen at a time and freeze them, taking one down to thaw for about 20 minutes each time I get a craving. Plus, they are really versatile since you can add whatever toppings you like! 
2. Healthy Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Oat Bars from Ambitious Kitchen
The pumpkin flavor in these is delicious, and the chocolate chips add a perfect touch of sweetness.

3. Healthy Double Chocolate Breakfast Cookies from Whole and Heavenly Oven
Oh man, these cookies are awesome! They definitely fill my need for a little something rich and chocolatey. Plus, they're filled with good-for-you ingredients that give a nice energy kick. 
4. Greek Yogurt Peanut butter dip from Skinny Mom
This dip is rich and oh-so-peanut-buttery, perfect for a little sweet and salty treat with some pretzels. It tastes a lot like frosting but has way more lasting nutrients. Also, it comes together in about one minute. Score! The recipe is designed for dipping apples, but I'm allergic. You could really dress anything you like in this dip.
I originally made these cookies when I had a ton of leftover quinoa to use up. I'll admit they do taste like a healthy cookie, but the chewy quinoa is suprisingly satisfying! 
6. Healthy no bake snack bars from Super Healthy Kids
 I'd heard that dates are a great way to make rich sweets more healthy, so I tried these bars which have several tasty but good-for-you ingredients like cashews, dates, peanut butter, and cocoa powder. I made these with honey-roasted cashews (which definitely makes them less healthy, oops), but the salty flavor was delicious. 

What do you think, any of these look worth a try? Is it impossible for you to stay away from sweets, too? Let me know in the comments below. 
If you liked this post, you might like some of my other healthier options posts like Homemade Takeout, 4 Delicious, Lighter Chocolate, Banana, and Peanut Butter Treats, or 4 Simple Stir Fry Recipes.
Thanks for stopping by!

linking up with:
What's Cookin Wednesday
Women With Intention

1 comment:

  1. These look yummy! I'm with you on the beans in desserts! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to comment! I'd love to hear your thoughts.