7.26.2017

Red Quinoa Thai Curry Bowl

You know when you have a night to yourself, and you dream up all these fun things you will do? For me, the plan consists of watching a girly show I never make time for (Switched at Birth), doing some yoga, and making an adventurous dinner I wouldn't want to force on my husband. 
Most often, that last item ends up taking my whole time!
Last month I got real creative with flavors and colors for a just-for-me dinner. It turned out to be this delicious red quinoa thai curry bowl, and oh I so wish I could taste it right now. This dinner was one of those complete experiments and "oh, what else could I throw in" projects, and it turned out just delicious.
There's a reason bowls are so popular right now! They are pretty quick and full of flavor and healthy ingredients. Cook the chicken, sautee the veggies, add the sauce, and it's a great meal! You could easily leave out the meat to make it vegetarian/vegan and it would still have wonderful flavor. I've included the recipe for my creation below.

Red Quinoa Thai Curry Bowl 
Makes 2 bowls

Ingredients:

Bowls:
2 Tbsp coconut oil
1 lb chicken breast, diced
1 tsp curry powder
1/2 tsp turmeric
1/4 tsp ginger

1 c mixed bell peppers, cut into strips
1/2 c onion, cut into strips
1/2 c corn
1/3 c fresh cilantro 
1.5 c red quinoa, cooked per package instructions

Sauce:
1 tbsp thai red curry sauce
1 tsp plain yogurt
1/2 tbsp creamy peanut butter
squirt of lime 
Sriracha as desired 

Directions:

For the bowls:
1. Heat 1 Tbsp coconut oil in hot pan.
2. Add diced chicken to hot oil, season with curry powder, turmeric, and ginger, turning until chicken is fully cooked. Remove chicken from pan and set aside. 
3. Heat remaining 1 Tbsp coconut oil in pan over medium heat.
4. Add bell peppers and onion. Sautee until crisp-tender. Add corn. 

For the sauce:
 In a small bowl, whisk together all sauce ingredients. You may need to melt the peanut butter a little in the microwave for it to mix in. Taste for spiciness, add Sriracha if you want more spice, or more peanut butter if you like a milder, sweeter flavor. 

Bowls can be arranged in a wheel of ingredients, or mixed altogether. Sprinkle the cilantro and dollop the sauce on top. Delicious, and full of nutrients! 


For more wholesome meal ideas, check out three meatless main dishes, fresh summer lunches, and summer dinners menu.
linking up with:

3 comments:

  1. Looks and sounds great! I've never made anything with quinoa so I'll have to test it out sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing what can only be called a yummy "me-time" meal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My husband loves adventuresome food! We'll have to give this a try!

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to comment! I'd love to hear your thoughts.